torstai 4. lokakuuta 2012

Mendeley, my true friend

Dear Reader, may I introduce: This is Mendeley, my friend. We co-operate daily nowadays, as I've got three research papers in the works at the same time.

Mendeley is a great application for managing and sharing research papers. On a computer the desktop application hogs all your article pdf files in drag-and-drop style, and extracts the metadata automatically. All my data is stored in the cloud, so I can access it anywhere.

Mendeley is such a treasure, that I even ended hostilities with MS Word and returned using it for writing my papers. There's a handy plug-in for Word, and whenever I need a citation, I select the plug-in which opens a pop-up window, start writing the title/author name, and there I'll have it. It is pasted in the right place, formatted just the way I need (APA, in this case). 

Getting the reference done couldn't be easier: articles, books, web pages... Mendeley scans my text, knows what citations have been added, and makes the Bibliography section in a snap. Pure APA-style, hassle-free. Wow!

I can also read and annotate those pdf-based articles in Mendeley – also on my iPad.

Like a true friend, Mendeley doesn't charge for it's services. The free account holds for 2 Gb data, and I've used only 42 Mb.

One thing that I'd like my friend to learn: to accept bar code or ISBN when adding a book. Nowadays I must type every field manually. There are already many handy apps for iPad that make adding books as effortless as Mendeley's pdf process. Hope the folks get this feature right soon.

They say that Mendeley's also for collaborating online. How's that to be done? If you collab in Mendeley, share your secrets.

PS. I robbed AJ Cann's pic, so that's not my beard. Book your time if you want to whip me for that.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti